About MERCHANTS’ CLUB

Business centre surrounded by the city

MERCHANTS’ CLUB – combination of business innovations and tradition right in the heart of Vilnius

MERCHANTS’ CLUB is situated in the very centre of Vilnius on Gediminas Avenue, it is easily found and accessible by car or public transport from all parts of the city, also from Vilnius International Airport (12-minute drive) as well as coach and train stations (7-minute drive).

High-class hotels such as Radisson BLU Hotel Lietuva, Ratonda, Best Western Vilnius, etc., numerous cafes, bars and restaurants are situated close to the business centre.

The MERCHANTS’ CLUB enjoys a strategic location: it is surrounded by major public institutions, the city’s main banks as well as the central post office are close nearby.

Amidst all the major strategic objects, the renovated building of the MERCHANTS’ CLUB blends well into the busy rhythm of the city and supplements the surrounding architectural ensemble. Thanks to professional German experts, the old façade of the building today looks exactly as it did in the early 20th century when its lavishness stood out prominently in the city’s landscape.

Cost-effective and modern

The state-of-the-art business centre is fitted with advanced technologies and innovative cost-effective solutions.

MERCHANTS’ CLUB with 10,200 sq.m. of class A office space not only stands out in the city of Vilnius because of its exterior and interior but is also fitted with the most advanced technologies, heating and ventilation systems that help reduce operation costs and ensure maximum comfort.

Dynamic lighting (adjusted based on the time of the day) has been installed inside the business centre for the convenience of guests and employees, the building has 5 hydraulic elevators, a three-storey

underground parking for 74 cars and spacious renovated meeting rooms fitted with state-of-the-art conference equipment. A cosy courtyard (atrium) allows to enjoy natural light all year round.

The features that allow to save heating costs when the weather gets cold include the double-layer opening glass façade that also absorbs the noise of the environment, the heated/cooled ceilings and the automatically activated air heat pump that enables the building to enjoy partial independence from the central heat supply system and ensures the possibility to adjust heat as needed.

A hundred years of history

MERCHANTS’ CLUB: a hundred years of time-tested business tradition

In 1907–1914 Vilnius enjoyed a period of cultural and economic upturn. Rapid industrial development and formation of large companies resulted in increasing numbers of energetic tradesmen and industrialists, various organisations and foundations were being set up, including the PUBLIC GATHERING OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY, publicly referred to as the MERCHANTS’ CLUB. The aim of the society was to bring together merchants, companies and well-to-do cosmopolitan citizens of the city of Vilnius. The society organised business-related events, engaged in the protection of business and industrial interests, looked after the market of raw materials and export policy.

The building of the MERCHANTS’ CLUB was erected in 1913 on St George’s

Avenue (today – Gediminas Avenue), near Lukiškių Square that was getting increasingly important at the time and became the main square of the city. The first meeting of delegates from six governorates took place in 1914; the meeting discussed export issues and founded a regional branch of the Russian Export Chamber in Vilnius.

The MERCHANTS’ CLUB organisation was particularly focused on the fostering of business tradition, quality and sophistication and sought to promote the interests of local entrepreneurs. The society had plans to join industrial and trade policy of the Russian Empire, it co-operated with similar organisations in St. Petersburg, Moscow and Kiev, drew the experience of successful business from reputable foreign clubs and took interest in their principles of operation.

Exclusive architecture


Just like one hundred years ago, today MERCHANTS’ CLUB fascinates by its original architecture and subtle luxury.

The three-storey main façade of the MERCHANTS’ CLUB building designed in 1913 by Mikhail Prozorov as well as the elements of its exterior were decorated with the covering of man-made sandstone. Such décor was extremely rare in Vilnius back then, its use was limited to individual elements of buildings, therefore the new structure stood out because of its lavishness and originality. The elegant interior and exterior décor of the building expressed the harmony of progress, cultural innovation and stability.

Upon entering the building visitors found themselves in a finely painted stair-landing with luxurious mirrors. Walls of the spacious representation hall were decorated with a plafon and bas-relieves, symbols of Mercurius, god of commerce, eloquence and profit, adorned the ceilings. The smaller hall was decorated

in a more modest way but its walls were also decorated with original stucco. The building had central heating – a rarity in Vilnius in those days, it also had electric lights and a phone line, thus it was impressive not only visually but also in terms of its functional luxury.

An exclusive architectural accent of the MERCHANTS’ CLUB was the sculpture of an impressive size mounted on top of the baroque silhouette turret and depicting Atlas holding the heavens. In Greek mythology Atlas was the holder of the heavens and guardian of the Garden of the Hesperides, home of the magic apple tree that bore fruit of eternal youth. Sculptures of this kind were particularly in vogue in the décor of buildings in St. Petersburg of that time; Mikhail Prozorov who went to university there must have relied on the experience of the city’s architects. Today the three-meter Atlas figure recreated by architect Kęstutis Balčiūnas adorns the MERCHANTS’ CLUB once again.